Thursday, October 6, 2011

Update on my father

Hello Eveyone - thank you for your thoughts via here, FB, twitter, and email - it helps more than you know.

There are some changes in my father - his kidneys have improved, and his heart is strong; however, he is still critical in ICU, and his lungs still have a ways to go. He's still intubated. They did take him off the paralyzing drugs and lessened his sedation so that we were able to communicate with him some yesterday, but that exhausted him completely. Right now, only family are able to visit him, and his friends and patients have been wonderful and understanding.

I am in Arlington, Texas, for those of you who asked. There are many dead trees and bushes and browned grasses, but it hasn't been very hot here - not considering the 100 + degrees heat they've had for their summer. In fact, most of the time it has been pleasant outside - dry and warm with a nice breeze. The hottest day a few days back did have me burn my hand on the window of my boopmobile that sat out in the hospital parking lot in direct sun - ouch! But no more hot days like that since.

I am discussing the weather - oh gee! How boring can I get! But, my brain will just not muster up anything else. This is an exhaustion many of you know who have had a sick loved one. The travel from my city to this city, the staying with family and not in your own bed and space, the worry worry worry, the back and forth and back and forth to hospital.

Thank you, again, for all your thoughts -  they help, and they are certainly appreciated.

11 comments:

Anita said...

Still thinking of and praying for you dear lady. Much love to you and your family!

Jessica Nelson said...

That sounds so similar to what my grandma just went through. Intubated and everything. :-( *hugs to you*

NCmountainwoman said...

In times like these it is better to fill your mind with mindless thoughts like the weather. Your readers know and understand how exhausting such an ordeal can be.

Thoughts and prayers still flying to Texas from your NC mountains. For your father, for you, and for the whole family.

Susie Swanson said...

Oh I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. You all are in my prayers..Susie

Kerry said...

So sorry to hear this. I hope he continues to improve; in the meantime I hold you in my thoughts.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Kat .. I'm just glad you're able to be there and have had some time with him .. it's just so tough all round .. with a great many thoughts and hugs - Hilary

Unknown said...

I just wanted to add to the warm thoughts and hugs. It's such a tough time for all concerned. Take good care of yourself - Shirley

Kathleen Boston McCune said...

Prayers are continuing for your Dad and you and the rest of your family...remember our love and God's is there to draw on....just give it over to Him.

Stacy S. Jensen said...

I think the weather is a great distraction, because being in a hospital/ICU setting can really take its toll. Please take care of yourself. Praying for your father and your family.

Judith Mercado said...

May blessings and solace rain like stardust on you. I've been where you are and appreciate the intensity of the moment. My you find respite and joy soon.

Karen said...

Kat, prayers and (((hugs)))