Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I can see clearly now, my vision board is done...


One day I watched Oprah and they were talking about vision boards -- in fact, someone in their blog yesterday was talking about them too and I wish I could remember who so I could link them (here she is Serenity Room). I laughed when Oprah said, "I have to get one of those!" and the woman said, "Oh no, Oprah, you have to make one for yourself..." and Oprah said, "Oh! of course, yes! and I will!"

My first thought was, "Huhn. Who has time for that?" Then the skies opened - my vision cleared! Wait! This could be it! The answer to all my dreams come true. The way to success through simple cutting and pasting! WOW! Yippeee! Or I was bored, or curious, or feeling inspired, or didn't want to let Oprah down. Anywhodlydoo, this was in spring or summer. The windows and doors were open to let in the cool mountain air. The wind caused the leaves on the buckeye and the tulip poplar and the walnut tree to wave at me, as if to say, “Go on, do it...do it...do it…”

I feverishly looked through magazines and sale circulars and Reader’s Digests and catalogues—looking for the perfect images to paste on my vision board. I used one of Good Man Roger’s canvasses as my board.

I’d meant to add to it as days went by, but being the kind of person I am, I “finished” it within a few days and stuck it away somewhere. Um, I think you are supposed to stare at it daily and imagine those things happening. Oops.

When I read someone’s blog about vision boards, I retrieved mine and stared at it, looking to see if anything on it had come true. There was one image that immediately drew my attention. A woman on horseback looked almost exactly like the woman on horseback in the trailer Bellebooks made for Tender Graces. Huhn. Maybe? Maybe? When I created the board, I didn’t know I’d have a publisher for TG. Perhaps some of the other pasted things were hints: published author, southern novels, etc.

Maybe I need to keep it out and stare at certain other things, like the photos of dollar bills representing certain amounts of cash (teehee). The picture that reads, “Win a trip to Italy!”(ohhh!) The photo of my dream bathroom (ahhhh). The one about saving the mountain from developers (um, now that I think about it, this one sort of came true as development has slowed and even stopped in some areas...huhn), the magazines I hope Tender Graces will be mentioned in—you know their reader’s corners where they point out great books to read at the beach or while in the tub. I have non-selfish things there, too, of course – but to go into all the stuff on my vision board would bore everyone to tears.

What do you think about visualization? About positive energies bringing to you what you desire? For sure, positive energies make us feel better. I think the greatest thing I received from that show was the idea of Gratitude. To have a sense of thankfulness for what you do have, instead of lamenting what you do not. It’s hard to feel down when you are listing the things or people or places you feel grateful for.

So, there’s that woman on horseback, and there’s the woman in the trailer who matches her – maybe I’m stretching it? Or, maybe, just maybe …
---------

Don’t forget to enter the “contest” – write your 200 words or fewer in the comments—see the image to the right and click on it for instructions.

Now, I’m going to take a mountain walk and then see how the inaugural celebrations are going!
(Note - am watching now - how can you not feel emotional? Oh, Pearlman is playing his violin and Yo Yo his cello -- I could cry; oh how lovely. how lovely. how lovely.)
(google stock image from: http://www.inmagine.com/)

17 comments:

Janna Leadbetter said...

I've never given much thought to vision boards, but I do believe thinking such positive thoughts goes a long way in succeeding.

Oprah's full o' hooey, don't you think? Like she ever kept her word and made a vision board.

JOY said...

Kathryn - see my comment in Angie's blog. I'm all turned around this morning. Need that vision board to put things in order. I do believe that if you write it down (and images are the same) it is put out there and somehow, no matter how long it takes, the vision swirls into form soon or eventually.
The excerpt from your novel intrigues me. Gonna want to read it . . .

Angie Ledbetter said...

*LOL to Janna*

Whether there's any merit to vision boards or visualization bringing about changes in the physical, I'm not sure. But thinking positive sure can't hurt. That, gratitude aplenty, and the power of sincere (and even sacrificial) can make miracles. :)

Angie Ledbetter said...

Oh, and HEY, Joy!

Kathryn Magendie said...

Mornin Joy, Janna, and Angie! *waving at you!*

Debbie said...

I think if I had the time and inclination to do a vision board, I could just achieve all those things that would be on it anyway. But, that's just me.

Kathryn Magendie said...

BINGO DEBBIE! That's just what I was thinking - the things on there are things I am going to strive for and make happen -- well, at least try to *laugh* - I think maybe they should be "Focus Boards" or something - meaning, to keep you focused on your goals - they must just be like writing down goals - the pictorial version of lists!

amy said...

I'm so excited you wrote about this, Kat! I've done this off and on for a few year--we did it every January at this Unity church I used to attend, except they called it Treasure Mapping: you look for pictures or words/phrases of things you want to bring into your life, although occasionally you may be drawn to a picture/word that you don't understand so go ahead and cut it out/glue it on.

And ironically--I should write to Oprah and tell her this--they told us Oprah's magazine is a wonderful source of good pictures/words for these things.

I will also say that every time I've done a treasure map/vision board, the "big" stuff usually makes its way to me. Clearly, Oprah is on to something (but she has to do her OWN vision board--no getting one of her staffers to make one for her. Unless she wants one of her staffers to get all of her cool stuff.)

:-)

Anita said...

In the excerpt above, I was hypnotized by YOUR voice!

I'll have to think about visualization and get back to you.

colbymarshall said...

I am not one of those into the power of positive thinking, but I think if it makes you feel good, do it! :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy that I followed the link to this blog. It really is pretty. I like all the links you have, and everything is laid out so nice. Contest? Yes, I will add this link to my favorites. So many helpful things here. You have been busy!
Blessed be

Terri Tiffany said...

I started to read your post --was enjoying it so much and then I clicke on your trailer link. WOW. I got so caught up in the words and music that I wanted to tell you your book is my kind of book! I can't wait to read it!!!

Kathryn Magendie said...

Hi Yawwlll, Terri, Grandmother Witch, Amy, Colbymarshal, Anita! *smiling* -- T'ank ya for the comments and stopping by and reading and for everything!"

Walker said...

I dont think it would help me in the least but visualizations do work.
Every time i come out of a strip club I feel possitive and that's about all.
You want to feel more you have to pay for it

Anonymous said...

Cool post! I'm not much into vision boards...(and I LOVED Janna's sentiment!) but I don't believe in coincidence either. There's a reason for everything.

Kathryn Magendie said...

Walker - laughing - you are something else...

Linda...I keep forgetting about my vision board - huhn.

The Unbreakable Child said...

Kat, thatis a very moving video. Just beautiful!!`