Monday, August 2, 2010

Cataloochee Elk, Tobacco Barn & Caldwell house


Angie, me, GMR, and Angie's hb went to Cataloochee to see the elk. Angie had about three heart-attacks, five jumping out of her skins, two AUUUGGGH's, and three We're gonna Dieeeee's, as we wound our way round and up and then round and down to get to the Cataloochee valley (teeheehee). While there, we also visited the old tobacco barn and the old Caldwell house. I snapped some photos of the old tabacco barn, the old homestead, and the elk- but not all of the photos are in the usual way. I liked how the light was that day, how it came through breaks between the barn wood, or through the windows and doors of the house.

I talked Angie into staying a little longer, so we can extend our visit. There's so much to see, but, as well, there's so much just to Not Do - relax, nap, write, be.

Today I'll get back to work on VK III a little while Angie works on her WIP. Sometimes it will strike me all of a sudden how I have two books out, Sweetie on the way in November, as well as a novella that will be published with two other author's novellas and released this fall, and, the VK III book to work on to be released summer 2011. I do feel like my dreams have come true - like a writer, an author, a novelist. But! Also! Chimney Rock Park calls, as does the Cherokee Museum, and Joey's Pancake House and Jelly Bellies in Maggie Valley, Main Street Waynesville, the Blue Ridge Parkway, Smoky Mountain State Park drive down 441, and et cetera. In between and among these things is the porch, where I am sitting, along with Angie, as we each type on our laptops. There's a nice cool breeze, though the heat's going to return to the valleys, at near 3400 feet we are lucky to feel the breeze from the ridgetops and from off the creek.

Life is good living in this cove at Killian Knob.

I leave you with some images of the tobacco barn, the old Caldwell house, and the Cataloochee elk. To see them bigger, should you want to, just click on the photos.

11 comments:

T. Frohock said...

Okay, look, you give Angie a break. I know what those mountain roads are like. My husband and I were up there once and he saw a speed limit sign that said 55 mph. I told him Don't do it! They're just foolin' with you! Sure enough, the speed limit dropped to 45 (which I still thought was a joke) just before a hairpin turn.

My hair was white by the time we reached our friend's house. I'm glad you two are having such a nice visit.

Terri Tiffany said...

I love the pictures and how fun that you guys are getting to hang out like this!! Kidnap me the next time!!LOL

Diane said...

Hopefully, she can calm her nerves down after all that excitement. The pictures are gorgeous! :O)

Sheila Deeth said...

Wow! What great pictures. I love the "so much to not do" idea too. Wish I was there.

Karen said...

That's so neat, and great pictures. You described Angie's expressions so well...lol... Love it! Fasinating the elk come so close.

Titus said...

Love the shots through the knot(?) holes. Have a great time!

Marguerite said...

Great shots and times. Wish I was there!!!

Angie Ledbetter said...

LOL, Teresa! I'm glad I cut my hair short (and all the color with it), or I'd have a terrible skunk-looking mess by now...zooming around all these high mountain hairpin curves. EEEEEEEK! But the company, views, food, companionship make it worth those heart-stopping moments of driving up up up. :D It's been THE most glorious time-away-from-time ever. {Bless Kat & GMR for letting us become squatters in their beautiful home and porch. There's nowhere I'd rather be. Seriously.}

Anita said...

Glad to hear that Angie and you are having such a good time! What great pictures too...you definitely have an artistic eye!

john bord said...

Years ago traveled that area, Tennessee to North Carolina and into Virginia. The barns, weathered wood, lush greenery and easy hills. Life has a pace there that is to itself. Love knotholes, make great frames for pictures.

Sometimes I chuckle, I live at feet elevation but it is the flat lands. I go north to the neighboring town and it is almost a 1000 foot elevation change but it is still the flatlands.

bit of irony. the Cherokee Indians found some of the first gold fields in Colorado during the 1860's. They named a village there after their home in northern Georgia, Auraria. Today that town is called Denver.

The Cherokee were quiet the gold prospectors. The small town in northern Georgia still has some gold deposits.

Loved the adventure and pics, thanks.

Kerry said...

We have lots of elk out here in Oregon and I am continually amazed at how they can drift in and out of thick woods. I mean, those ANTLERS? How do they do it? I myself cannot manage carrying a laundry basket through an open doorway without problems.