Thursday, February 12, 2009

This is a few of my favorite things...


[At least one of my little envelopes with mountain thoughts was torn asunder and some of the contents lost to the winds! Oh sigh. But, now I wonder who will find the cherokee tear and buckeye - where were they lost and who said, "hey, what's this?" picked them up and put them in their pocket? ]
(Photo taken from my porch)

Last night the coons came, not caring of the winds and rain. There were three of them: two small ones and then Boo Boo. Boo Boo, named just because one night I just called out "oh boo...hey boo boo~!" and it stuck, is an old fat raccoon with lots of gray. I love her. Two young ones were perched on the squirrel feeders - (imagine it is like we are in a treehouse where we are level with the middle or near-tops of some trees, not the ground). Boo Boo was on the railing. Soon, we heard the squabbling and laughed when we saw Boo Boo on the feeder - she'd chased those young coons away and took up her spot!


As I was sitting here, I leaned back and the sun caught my left eye...this time of year, the sun is over the far right ridge, and it will make its way back to the left. From where I sit, If I look slightly to the left, I can see those distant mountains out my window. I am in a leather chair with the laptop perched. My coffee cup filled with Deep Creek Blend, black, is on a coaster that sits upon a small table that looks like stacked books. There is a pen/pencil holder that looks like books. There are shelves full of books and rocks and photos and pieces of small bark and interesting vases or vessels and some small gifts from friends, and et-cetera.
I have a soft throw over my legs. Fat old labrador Jake is snoring. There is a rug with natural fibers we bought at World Market and on top of the rug is a cow-hided ottoman. There are books and books and more books. Our ceiling fan is rustic, so is the small lamp on the book table. There are many things I love in this room where I work. I am in here many hours. There are bookmarks - for I love bookmarks. Another small table that looks like a book. I see out the door a piece of the hallway leading to the rest of the little log house, and a framed piece of art we bought long ago that is filled with jazz images. If I turn my head farther to the left, I see the ridge across the cove. But closer, I see two of the rocking chairs on our porch right outside the two windows. While typing this, Sun has already moved away from my eye but still leaves its glance on the porch, and on the wood window blinds.


What do you see as your write this morning? What surrounds you?

13 comments:

Angie Ledbetter said...

Wish I was on that porch with Jake rocking the chair, talking to some mountain ghost. :) (Tell him I said hey, please.)

I see sun slanting down over the backyard from my patio on a cool dew-covered southern morning, as little Bandit romps around after his toys. Drinking some Deep Creek Blend a dear friend gave me!! Hugs

Janna Leadbetter said...

That sounds absolutely heavenly.

I'm just now gearing up to write. My desk faces a wall, which is cozier than one might think. But if I look over the balcony, the wall for which butts up against my side, and across the living room's expanse, I see our peaceful front yard through the window. If I look down the hill far enough, I see the frozen water in our cove... I can't wait to see some green out there again.

colbymarshall said...

Teedle--hee- liked your title b/c am about to start choreographing Sound of Music for my theatre. This morning I woke up to a cats tail swishing on my face. Not quite as majestic as your view ;-)

Debbie said...

I like to sit in my oversized chair with my feet propped up on my ottoman and a cold drink by my side (tea in the morning - white wine at night). I am a simple woman.

Jessica Nelson said...

Man, I wish I live where you do! As I wrote earlier, I saw my son's head peeking out of the bedroom as he debated whether to escape quiet time.
I also saw a kitchen table littered with papers and drawings. Sigh. I wish I was surrounded by books when I wrote.

Unknown said...

beautiful picture kathryn and yes, i can attest to snoring labradors, given that Ruby has dedicated her life to it.
This morning ? a chill in the air and lots of rain.
Perfect xx

Lori said...

Sounds wonderful! When I get a chance to write, it is near the big picture window and all I see outside is snow and bare trees. I have photo's of my children and grandchildren that I can see too. My time of getting to write is limited. While the little ones play rather well, they still need to be checked on when it's gotten too quiet...lol...or fighting breaks out...and of course they need to sit on my lap every once in awhile or some day's more often then not.

t i m said...

Woo! Guess what arrived in my post today?

Close, but it’s not the Holy Grail

Guess again

No it’s not that either; take your mind out of the gutter. ;)

I just wanted to say thanks very much for your wonderful generosity & rest assured all the items you sent are being put to good use. The lucky charm is already working wonders as I’ve a strong-ish feeling I’ll scoop this weekend’s lotto, you can have 10% of the winnings of course, ok then 8%. :)

It’s been a busy few days with no time for my favourite extracurricular activities but I’ll get round to updating my blog soon with probably something along the lines of utter jubilation for being the proud recipient of a buckeye seed, woo-hoo!

As for your question, this morning or indeed evening as I’m typing this – I’m surrounded by ideas, lots of ideas that ought to be jotted down before I can make room in my cerebellum for the more important stuff... homemade beer recipes.

Barry said...

That sounds very comfortable, and your description certainly made it easy to picture.

I usually sit with my laptop on my knees, but the only view I have out our front window is the house across the road.

Although it is a nice house.

amy said...

Kat, this post made me want to forget everything I'm supposed to do this weekend and jump in my car, drive to the mountains, find a nice cabin, and just stay there for the next 20 or so years. I'll just homeschool (cabinschool? mountainschool?) my kid.

I like to write in the evenings, when everybody else is asleep. And I like to write on my brown, faded leather couch in the living room. Sometimes it's quiet, and sometimes I put music on. My black cat is usually asleep on top of the couch...because I kicked her off my feet. Or, alternately, my lap top. I'm a tea drinker in the evenings. And still in search of my favorite coffee blend.

But tonight I'm not Writing, just writing. And so Jennifer Hudson is singing that song The Impossible Dream to Muhammad Ali on the NAACP awards.

amy said...

...in the background. Jennifer Hudson is singing to Muhammad Ali on TV, which is in the background as I write. Not Write. Because if I were Writing, I would make sense.

I need more tea.

Hilary said...

What a lovely site to see... and share. Beautiful photo.

Michelle said...

Sounds beautiful Kathryn.

You write so well.